KakaoTalk, Korea’s #1 mobile messenger application for smartphones is now officially in the Philippines. After a long wait, years of waiting, it has finally arrived in the islands to take on Japan’s LINE and China’s WeChat as the dominant, household name in the country.
KakaoTalk was developed and released by Kakao Corp., a Korean company founded by former NHN Corporation CEO, Mr. Kim Beom Soo.
It was the first mobile instant messenger network that wasn’t tied-in to any particular phone brand (like Blackberry Messenger), not a VoIP (like WhatsApp, Tango, Viber), and not a desktop IM (like Yahoo! Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger, Skype). The first initial release of KakaoTalk was on 18th of March 2010, and in just 5 months, it reached a staggering 57 million users.
According to this 2012 article, it reached an average of 24 million users using KakaoTalk daily and over 3.4 billion messages every single day. It was also chosen as the number 1 free SMS app by CNET.
KakaoTalk is still the number one mobile instant messenger network in Korea and among K-pop fans worldwide. Even in Japan, the product have a huge userbase when it launched on 26th of July 2011.
It was only a matter of time before this massive, the original, mobile messenger lands on the islands. And here they are now…
Guess who the Philippine endorsers are? It’s no other than Sarah Geronimo partnered with KakaoTalk’s International partner BigBang. Check the Philippine TVC below:
- Free 1-on-1 and Group Chat
- Free 1-on-1 and Conference call (called VoiceTalk)
- Photo and video sharing
- Support for up to 12 languages, and more coming
- Plus Friends (official celebrity and brand accounts) – K-pop stars use KakaoTalk!
- First ISO 27001 certified mobile messenger
- No banner advertisements
- Plenty of games, themes, and emoticons downloadable for free (both unlimited and time-limited use) and purchasable
- Social network via KakaoStory
- First mobile messenger with desktop client
- True cross-platform, available for Android, iOS, Blackberry, and Windows smartphones – which means more contacts
- KakaoLink API (developers, take advantage of this!)
- KakaoPoll – ask a question, get answers quick (still beta as of this blog post)
- And the most important of all all data are ENCRYPTED
Official Social Media Accounts
Here are the official social media accounts and website of KakaoTalk Philippines – before you get lost and follow a fan-made account…
Where to download?
- Android Google Play (store)
- Samsung Apps (store)
- iOS (store)
- Blackberry (store)
- Windows Phone (store)
- Windows PC (exe installer)
If you are an Android user and your smartphone or gadget doesn’t come with Android’s Google Play app, you have the option to get it from my own store – free-of-charge of course. Follow these steps using your smartphone or Android gadget:
- Install the Aptoide store app by visiting this link or scan this QR code
- Download KakaoTalk by visiting this link or scan this QR code
(the link and QR code points to version 3.8.8)
A couple of things to remember when downloading from my Android store:
- The version of KakaoTalk available in my repository is only the latest version that I got directly from Google Play
- The version available in my repo might be old by a few hours (or days) compared to the Google Play release because I have to upload it first when I am not busy.
- Download only from my store to be sure that you are getting the real deal. I do not upload cracked, hacked, infected, compromised Android apk files. My store is only for Free/Libre Open-Source Software and Free-of-Charge apps. (I am not saying that other stores in the aptoide network were cracked or compromised but I can not guarantee their versions.)
- I am NOT responsible for any damage to your phone that may or may not arise from your downloading from a third-party store/repository or if you misused it or downloaded elsewhere.
- My store or repository was made available for Android units that doesn’t come with Google Play application (and there are plenty), especially custom MOD Android releases.
With that said, we are crystal clear about my own (third-party) repo. If you have Google Play, then get KakaoTalk from Google Play, not anywhere else.
Last but not the least, Kachat me by adding my KaID: jcsesecuneta. I rarely Katalk unless it is of dire importance or you are someone close and dear to me.
Now go tell your fellow K-pop fans that the true K-pop mobile social messenger has arrived. No one can beat KakaoTalk. All your friends, regardless of which platform they are using, can use KakaoTalk!
San ka pa?!